Summer 2020 will be here before you know it, and along with it, a pretty important date for all the dads out there. So, you want to be ready and want to know when is Fathers Day in 2020?
Here’s everything you need to know about when is Fathers day in 2020
This year, Father’s Day is on Sunday, June 21, 2020. Father’s Day is not a bank holiday, but is widely observed by much of the population.
Why do most countries celebrate Father’s Day on the third Sunday of June?
Contrary to what many believe, Father’s Day wasn’t invented by any particular card company to drum up business during a quiet summer! Most countries, including Ireland, the United States and the UK, celebrate Father’s Day on the third Sunday of June.
There are several theories behind the first Father’s Day but generally the first father to receive a pair of socks and a tie was William Jackson Smart. He was a US Civil War veteran and after his wife died in 1898, he raised his six children in Spokane, Washington.
His daughter was so moved by his efforts to raise their family. And inspired by the latest holiday of Mother’s Day, she started a campaign to have Father’s Day officially recognized.
Through her efforts, the first Father’s day was celebrated on June 19th 1910. It was officially recognized in 1972 under President Nixon.
Presents and gift ideas for this special day
Fathers are often showered with gifts on this day. Here is presents and gift ideas for Fathers day in 2020.
- Many take their father out to eat or bring him breakfast in bed.
- Many also make use of fine summer weather to take dad out for a picnic.
- Help Dad work in the garden or around the house.
- Create the coolest T-shirt for your daddy printed with text and photo! (This way you can make your own unique Father’s Day shirt for your superdad in only a few minutes.)
- Get Father’s Day mug with photo.
- Buy Leather BBQ gloves (You can put a smile on father’s face with a set of personalised leather BBQ gloves.).
- Get Father’s Day key ring (Surprise your dad with a beautiful key ring with photo as a Father’s Day gift!)
Questions and answers about Father’s Day celebration around the world
Why is Father’s Day different dates?
Father’s Day is celebrated worldwide to recognize the contribution that fathers and father figures make to the lives of their children.
This day celebrates fatherhood and male parenting. Although it is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide, many countries observe this day on the third Sunday in June.
Is Father’s Day on the same date every year?
Don’t feel bad if this date is news to you; the celebration changes days year-to-year. If you ever forget, just remember that Father’s Day always falls on the third Sunday in June, and then check the calendar accordingly.
The officially recognised date of Father’s Day varies from country to country. In Ireland, the US and UK, and many other countries it falls on the third Sunday in June.